Monday, June 22, 2015

Easy Herb Drying Rack

Healthy and delicious herbs


I use a lot of herbs in my chicken feed, nest boxes, and other places around the coop. I like to harvest as many of them myself as I can. I grow basil, parsley, oregano, rosemary, lavender, thyme, mint, dill, fennel, comfrey, roses petals, marigolds, nasturtiums, and yarrow in my garden and in pots in the coop and I gather bee balm and dandelions from the woods around my house.


This means that I need some way to try large amounts of herbs at once, so that I can store them for use in the winter. I came up with an easy solution this year, which is decorative and efficient.

I simply strung a thick length of natural colored twine in front of the windows in the dining room. Then I just have to gather the herbs into bundles and wrap a metal twister around their bases. I can bend the end of each twister into a hook and easily hang it over the twine.

I enjoy the sight of all those fresh herbs hanging in the dining room and it also makes it convenient to keep track of which herbs are ready to be stored in Ziploc plastic bags or glass jars.

No comments:

Post a Comment